COWSHED

Sunday 6 February 2011

Yurting in the South West

One of the duties of a bridesmaid generally seems to involve hen party organising of some sort. It is a path to tread (and I mean no offence whatsoever to either A or T who might read this!) which involves a great deal of guess work, a decent amount of research, a juggling of diaries of a fair number of people - some of which you might know and some of which you definitely don't - which may include different ages/stages of life and wealth and a limited window. But when the bride-to-be turns up, has a wonderful weekend with her closest friends and everyone enjoys themselves, it makes the organising well worth it.

hen party 6

{Images by hen party guests; food, crockery and decorations by Iced}

My biggest advice in the earliest stages of planning is communication. Make sure the researcher and the bride-to-be are on the same page in terms of a basic outline. I spent time researching yurts today and fell in love with the idea of a glamping, yurting, meadow based hen party. Turns out bride-to-be saw it more of a cottage on the beach type affair. Sounds wonderful, I just misread it. Communication people. Always remember the communication. But in the interests of my research being useful to someone, I thought I'd post what I found.

So I can get on with researching coastal cottages. Unless anyone has any recommendations?
---

Somerset


The Yurt Retreat - photo via Go Glamping

The Yurt Retreat - this is a new-ish venture from brother's Andrew and Paul and sounds lovely. Andrew was especially helpful when I spoke to him over the telephone. 4 yurts sleeping 4 people surrounding a communal kitchen/lounge/shower area. Based within driving distance of the Jurassic Coast as well as The Wild Garlic restaurant and the River Cottage Canteen. (Crewkerne)

Cornwall

Photos by either Botelet or me

Botelet Smaller yurts of 2 so less good for hen parties per se but I couldn't leave these from the list as this is where we spent our honeymoon (Herodsfoot, Liskeard)

Cornish Tipi Holidays  A village of different sized tipis. I personally of 2 different hen parties which have taken place here, both sounded lots of fun. (St Kew, Nr Wadebridge, Cornwall)

Pencuke Farm Yurts 3 yurts looking over meadowland to the North Atlantic with a guest barn with communal kitchen etc (St Gennys, Bude)


Cornish Yurt Holidays via Go Glamping

Yurt Works (Cornish Yurt Holidays) 2 yurts in more separate fields (St Breward, Bodmin)

North Wales

Cae Wennol Yurts 2 yurts, billed as a real retreat (Hen Efail, Conwy)

I also found surf shacks, lots of lovely campsites and vans, so if you want to know, let me know.


2 comments:

Amy said...

I've used rural retreats and national trust holiday cottages for large groups in the past...

Purple Shoes said...

http://www.devon-online.com/2-prospect-house/

May be not big enough, but my friend recommended it.