Saturday, 3 April 2010

Around Easter thoughts turn to summer shopping

We have two holidays booked: a week in Gozo and a week on my parents' boat in France. Around about Easter, when the evenings are longer and one no longer (should) need to wear a thermal vest in bed and thick woolley tights during the day, my thoughts always turn to shopping.

Of course, living where we do, shopping is not the easiest. I am trying to resist on-line shopping, as when I start I find I can't stop and the line between want and need becomes ever more blurred.

This summer I am coveting a pair of brown leather chunky sandals which could be worn with dresses or, more specifically, shorts. These would be the ideal:





But they are sold only in the US until May, when I believe that J Crew comes to the UK via Net A Porter (but I expect they will come with a price hike, much like Banana Republic), and $165 is a lot for a pair of shoes to wear on holiday.

These are a kind of similar style, from Nine West via Kurt Geiger and a more reasonable £45 in the sale, but somehow just not quite right.


This is the kind of look that I am going for:

Gozo Holiday


Gozo Holiday by peacockfeathersdiamondrings featuring J Crew


{Wishful thinking clearly. I don't own a Mulberry bag}

A sort of sailor chic meets preppy. I know it's an island in the med and I should probably be going for brown leather flipflops and a white dress but there are 7 days of this holiday. I could do a different look every day (if it weren't for the small matter of a luggage allowance...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've plagiarised a recent Liberty London Girl post. Bad blogging form indeed.

Peacock Feathers and Diamond Rings said...

Thanks for your comment anon.

I've been back through recent Liberty London Girl archives and the nearest I can find to a similar post by LLG is a post on jcrew in general where she features the same sandals in a different colour with a comment that they go with shorts. And uses the word preppy in conjunction with jcrew (not in the same context as I used the word preppy here).

Or was it the price hike comment? Which is a well known fact and one which, irritating, happens to all US shops which come to the UK (Banana Republic, Abercrombie & Fitch and Anthropologie are all examples).

If using 2 similar phrases and mentioning the same item of clothing is plagurising then all magazines and blogs are similarly guilty. And a bad day for PR if each item of clothing is only allowed to be featured by one blog/publication.

Liberty London Girl said...

Hey there lovely!

I just saw your tweet. Of course there is no exclusivity on-line! The only etiquette is that if you see something on another blog first that you then give a tiny credit if you then decide to write about it too.

But that doesn't seem to be the case here.


LLGxx

Peonies and Polaroids said...

I love the Gap top although I wish it wasn't V-necked, I find v-necks combined with stripes a bit too preppy/public school for my liking. And I really regret not buying a pair of wooden heeled wedges I saw in Aldo two summers ago.

And anon? Really? If a blogger posts about a topic or even an item that another blogger has written about that's plagarism? Give me a break.

Peacock Feathers and Diamond Rings said...

Hey LLG, thanks for your comments. I usually do post a link to credit a blog where I find something I like. In this case I had already seen the sandals on the J crew website and it was mere coincidence! I appreciate you taking time to post here though.

@peonies - I know what you mean about the v-neck but I do kind of like it with the shorts and sandals.

If anyone knows where I can find similar to the J Crew sandals though I would love to know.

Bells said...

Love the holiday look and love the reply comment to good old "anonymous" - classic!