COWSHED

Thursday 31 July 2008

Confessions of a Fiancee (Part Two)

I eventually got round to thinking about an engagement announcement this week. I remembered seeing a friend's in the Telegraph a few months ago and as my Grandparents and M's parents take the Telegraph I thought that would be appropriate. I logged onto their website and noted that it said:

"To place a notice in the Daily Telegraph you can contact the team on: Tel: 020 7931 3000 Fax: 020 7931 3370 email: announcements.ads@telegraph.co.uk. The deadline for wording is 2 p.m. on the day prior to publication and 4.30 p.m. for verbal confirmation.

Please note: if sending your notice by either fax or email you must add your name, address and daytime telephone number, as all our notices must be verbally confirmed prior to publication. All our notices must be verbally confirmed prior to publication."


Which sounded fine and it didn't mention costs so I naively assumed that it was free. So I e-mailed in our announcement and was rather surprised to receive a call from them this morning asking me to pay £189.41. Or £23.68 per line (4 or 5 words per line). I was extremely embarrassed to be asked for so much money for something I had assumed was free so I said I would check with my parents and come back to her. Which I haven't done but I did e-mail them registering my unease with such a method of extorting money from people.

In retrospect I should have realised an announcement would cost money but I suppose I simply assumed that if there were costs it would be mentioned on the 'information about notices' page. So we won't be having our announcement in the newspaper and we shall be spending the £189 on something more useful for the wedding. Like hiring a generator.

...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

£189 is ridiculous. I would also have assumed it would be free - you haven't been naive at all, it's just the paper's fault for not making their costs more explicit.

Or maybe it's that we were just brought up with the local rag where everything truly is free! Maybe you should get an announcement there instead...

Rachel said...

perhaps I should! Thanks Admingirl. I did feel rather silly. Oh well, sigh.